Saturday 8 January 2011

Day 2 - Sushi Saturday

I've been promising two of my friends, N and L, for ages that I would invite them around for a sushi dinner party.  Tonight is the night.

I'd become interested in the Japanese culture after taking a two year course in the language while at university.  My experience with the food however was confined to the culinary delights that Nottingham's restaurant scene had to offer back in 1999. It was fairly limited to say the least.

However, over ten years later, I've moved to the big smoke and travelled all over the world, experiencing some great Japanese cuisine. My favourite part being sushi and sashimi. I started learning the art of sushi back in October 2004 when my best friend E bought me my first sushi starter kit. I hasten to add I am self-taught but over the years I think I have honed my skills to a fair degree, often taking influence from the restaurants I have visited and takeaways I have ordered. I once said to Gerry, that I cannot even consider the idea that we might one day move somewhere there is no sushi takeaway facility available. My older sister T told me I was a complete numpty. Fair point.
Despite throwing a fair few sushi dinner parties over the years I find myself strangely nervous about tonights and I'm not altogether sure why.  I think it's because I've not prepared sushi for a number of months.  It took a little back seat while I dieted 3 stone of unnecessary weight away.  Ironic really since, in moderation, it is considered one of the healthiest cuisines available. 

Anyway, I'm all prepared having visited one of my favourite places, the Japan Centre, early this morning with Gerry. We were only the second people in so the aisles were all nice and quiet. Now I have the sushi-grade salmon and tuna - cut for me by a lovely elderly Japanese sushi chef, Japanese aubergines so I can create Nasu Dengaku, assorted vegetables for the tempura, eggs for the Tamagoyaki and of course crabsticks for Gerry's California rolls - her favourite. All this and much more, so I'm confident in my menu.
Yet I'm worried. I think its the rice issue. Get this right and I'm on the home straight, however, it can be easy to get wrong.  Too much water and it is a soggy nightmare, too little water and the rice won't be cooked through. I've done it well over a hundred times by now but I still get anxious. Maybe I should just buy a rice cooker. Apparently most Japanese households own one so why should I be any different?
 
Right, on with the making. Fingers crossed, deep breath and wish me luck!


Roll in Progress
Just Awaiting the guests
The finished result is below.  Served with warmed Sake courtesy of Gerry. It was delicious and certainly seemed to go down well with everyone. Success!
Sushi Spread - Clockwise from TR: Tuna & Salmon Hosomaki, Tuna & Avocado Uramaki, King Prawn Tempura Uramaki, Nasu Dengaku, Chicken Katsu Uramaki, Tamagoyaki, California Roll with Wasabi Tobiko, Salmon & Avocado Uramaki, Tuna & Spring Onion Gunkan, Prawn Tempura, and finally Chicken Katsu

No comments:

Post a Comment