Tuesday 11 January 2011

Day 4 - Slightly Manic Monday

I had a busy start to my Monday morning. I finished work at 2.30am and got home around 3am to find younger sister asleep on our sofa bed after drama at her work party. At half 8 I was up and about helping her deal with the aftermath, finally getting home around 11.30am.  All seems to be mostly settled now which is good news. 

However, after little sleep the idea of having to prepare food is not an appealing one and I realise that when I'm tired I find convenience food the name of the game. This year I'm trying not to fall into the ready meal trap as often, even if it means my culinary concoctions aren't to the highest standard.  Today, to stave off hunger while I thought about what I could properly make, I made myself a lovely cheese, ham and mushroom toastie and it hit all the right notes. 

For dinner, I got inspiration from an unlikely source.  Gerry wasn't working today so we ended up watching My Neighbour Totoro - a fantastic film from the Ghibli Studios. In the film they make bento boxes for lunch...so that's what I decided to do for dinner!  I had quite a few ingredients left over from the sushi on Saturday so dragging myself off the sofa I set to work.  The degree of difficulty in these boxes it would seem comes not from the individual elements but making sure it all makes it into the box at the same time so it can be served hot.
I was pretty pleased with the outcome as its officially my first bento attempt.  I even managed to create a little rice Panda to put in the box which made us both smile!  
Clockwise from TR: Rice, Edamame, Rice Panda, California Rolls, Prawn Tempura, Duck Spring Roll (Not Japanese but yummy!), Nasu Dengaku, and Chicken & Vegetable Gyoza. Little cucumber knife wizardry in the centre!

No comments:

Post a Comment