Saturday 8 January 2011

Day 1 - That Friday Feeling

Well it's my very first post and because it's a Friday, I think the day deserves fish and chips.  However, although I love shop bought fish and chips, the aftermath of guilt is never appealing. Therefore I decided to make my own healthy version of this classic, using inspiration from one of my favourite sites, Delicious Magazine.  The quantities coming up created a good size meal for 2.
  • I used the more environmentally-friendly option of pollack, each fillet around 175g, and covered them with a mixture of baby capers, lemon zest, parsley, olive oil and brown breadcrumbs and popped it into the oven for around 15 mins. 
  • For the chips, I used two medium-sized baking potatoes cut into nice, straight, thick-cut batons, boiled for around 5mins until just tender, then rolled in olive oil, seasoning and then into the oven for around 40 mins.  Turning when necessary.  
  • Finally, a healthy version of mushy peas. I flash-fried 1 spring onion with 1 tsp of olive oil, then adding 300g of defrosted frozen peas, 1tbsp of reduced fat creme fraiche and a few mint leaves.  After the mixture was heated through I whizzed it all together with a blender and plated up.  The result is as shown!

My partner Gerry, and one of my best critics, said it was one of the best fish and chips she'd had for a long time. Brilliant and good start to the project I feel!


No comments:

Post a Comment