Monday 17 January 2011

Day 11 - Monday Fail

I failed miserably today in regards to cooking.  I was still at my parents and had a slightly sleepless night, punctuated by small dog head-butting the bedroom door just to give me a cheeky smile and wag of his tail before trotting quite happily back to his bed. How very thoughtful.

After an energetic start to the day with Day 9 of Wii Active - it really is quite a 30 minute work out and something I highly recommend. I can feel biceps forming already!

Breakfast was quaffed down quickly and was nothing out of the ordinary. With the weather being absolutely dire I abandoned plans to walk into town to replace watch battery and buy A4 frame, thus the television got my full attention. There was very little on unfortunately and I found myself succumbing to The Holiday.  Actually quite a good film, marred only by the woeful miscasting of Jack Black as a romantic interest for Winslet. He may be considered amusing by some but this does not make up for his complete lack of sex appeal. I can think of so many others who would have been far better choices.  Poor old Kate, Cameron gets Jude while she gets, well...Jack.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic, the film brought me neatly to lunch time and again it was a dull affair. I'd made a Chicken Tikka Masala the night before so had the rest of this with some basmati rice. Tasty but not picture worthy.  Parents arrived back shortly after lunch and we caught up over pots of green tea.  All very healthy.  Time was getting on so I set off back home with plans forming in my head of what I could do with a tin of hotdogs, tinned tomatoes, dried herbs and pasta. However, by the time I made it through the doors and saw Gerry, visions of sushi were dancing before my little eyes.  I'm slightly ashamed to admit it was time for takeaway. Gerry wanted noodles and I was craving some fresher than fresher fish. I swung into action online and ordered from Eat Sushi.  I haven't ordered from here in quite a while as remember not thinking it was anything special first time around but decided to give it another go and very glad I did.  Despite being 15 minutes late, the varied sashimi was some of the best I've had recently, the hosamaki salmon rolls and marinated mackerel nigiri  were lovely.  We even got some free vegetable tempura in a black pepper and salt mix which was a welcome addition.  We paired it with warm Sake and it was consumed in minutes. So much so that I only remembered to get a picture on the last roll!

So to sum up, not really a culinary creative day on my part but I did get to experience foods from around the world today. From India to Japan, I had experienced a spicy buttery chicken curry to melt in the mouth sashimi and crispy lightly battered tempura.  Plus, everyone needs a day off.

The Last Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment