Sunday 16 January 2011

Day 10 - Going Greek

Back at the parents today to dog sit my ever lovable border terrier Rufus while they are away. He is the Brad Pitt of the dog world, although he is quite old now, so perhaps he should be elevated to George Clooney status.  Anyway I digress, being at the folks means that I had to raid their fridge for sustenance. My older sis and gorgeous little nephew came over for lunch so I thought I should whip up something healthy but filling.  Having done a recce, the parents fridge lent itself quite nicely to a Greek salad and Marinated Chicken Breast.  Before they arrived I marinated an 225g chicken breast for around an hour in the following ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • Salt and pepper

I also threw together a little dressing with the much of the same ingredients I used for the marinade.  I shook it all together and popped it in the fridge until they arrived.

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 2 crushed garlic cloves (crushed just with the back of a knife)
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper

While my nephew napped, T and I caught up and I managed to smoke out the kitchen while shallow frying the chicken. I then rested the chicken for around 5mins while I prepared the salad:

  • 2 tomatoes
  • 4 oz cucumber
  • 10 black olives
  • 1 small gem lettuce sliced into strips 
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 1 red onion
  • 2oz light feta cheese

I assembled the whole dish together and the following was the result.  The chicken was actually delicious and although I would have liked to have marinaded it for longer it was lovely as it was.  A splash of the dressing with the red wine vinegar also gave it a little bit of a bite.  All for around 360 calories.

Chicken & Greek Salad

Dish & Dressing
I spent the rest of the afternoon working off lunch playing with my nephew.  Despite the fact I am a probably a little biased, he really is the most intelligent, funny and handsome little boy.  Just got to get him to say my name before all his other aunts and uncle!

No comments:

Post a Comment