Thursday 13 January 2011

Day 7 - Chickpea Delight!

I'm still on a drive to use all my store cupboard ingredients to create meals before I hit the shops.  So far so good, although I almost thought I'd hit a roadblock today when the fishcakes I'd planned were scuppered by the tin of salmon being over 11 months out of date. New plan was required and sitting pretty next to the tin of salmon was a luckily in date can of chickpeas. Plan B therefore became falafel burgers and homemade salsa.

Pretty simple affair, I just whizzed the chickpeas up with cumin, coriander, fresh parsley, garlic, plain flour, light mayonnaise (to bind it all together) and some harissa paste (I will use the entire jar damnit!).  I shaped them into patties and popped them into the fridge to firm up for around an hour or so. For the salsa it wasn't my best effort but I added together tomatoes, garlic, onion, lime juice, sugar, salt and green chilli with a splash of tabasco and gave it a quick pulse in the food processor.  It looked a little anemic because I think I over blended but after 30mins of sitting to let the flavours mingle it was pretty moreish.

Once Gerry arrived home I fried the burgers for around 3 - 4 minutes each side in some groundnut oil and served with a couscous, cucmber and mint concoction and the salsa.  Gerry added a couple of cheddar slice to hers and if I'd had it hallomi would have been on top of mine!  Was delicious and dead simple to make - my kind of recipe.
Falafel, Couscous & Salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment