Sunday 9 January 2011

Day 3 - Sunday Soup

Well after the roaring success of last night's dinner party I am feeling quite good about my cooking abilities.  Looking back at the spread last night I do think I might make less rolls next time though!  We also had a little sashimi which was melt in your mouth delicious! 
Anyway on to today.  I thought I would make a nice fresh soup for lunch. It's lovely and sunny outside but a little chilly so a warming soup could be just the ticket.  I'm using what I have left in the fridge - spring onions, potato, peas and mint.  I also have some maple bacon left over from my Canadian themed breakfast yesterday so I think I might pop that in too, just to make it a little more hearty.

The below recipe made enough for four people.
  • I cut 2 rashers of bacon into small strips and cooked them in a large saucepan in a little oil until crisp. Then drained them on kitchen paper.
  • Next I added a knob of butter to the saucepan and stirred in half a bunch of sliced spring onions and a 1 diced potato. This cooked gently for 3-5 mins until soft.  I then added a finely chopped garlic clove, just because I love garlic!
  • I made up 1 litre of Vegetable stock, which I poured into the softened onion and potato mix, returned to the boil for around 10-15 mins until the potatoes were tender.
  • Then added the peas. I let this boil for 3-4 mins until the peas were done. 
  • Almost done, I took the pan off the heat, added a small bunch of mint leaves and then whizzed it all up with a hand blender until smooth. 
  • Finally, checked the seasoning and added back in the crispy bacon bits.
Winter Pea Soup with Bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment