Friday 21 January 2011

Day 15 - Comfort Food

I had a late night and today an early morning. I have to skip down to the tube station to retrieve my ipod which had fallen onto the track after said late night. It really was the worse luck after it flicked from my pocket as I waited to get off and slipped through the smallest gap between the train and the platform. Brilliant. However, the staff were actually surprisingly helpful and promised they would retrieve it after the line closed for the night. Lo and behold they kept there word so off I went home with the ipod no worse for wear.

Music troubles sorted I turned my attention to food. I was tired from last night's soiree and wanted something filling and comforting. What better way to satisfy both needs than steak and chips. I purchased the necessary ingredients and headed home. I was in the midst of planning out the evening's meal when I got a a call for work that evening. After so few shifts this month and a rescheduling of a few things I agreed. This meant that dinner plans became lunch.

I chopped up a sweet potato into wedges and popped them in the oven with some groundnut oil for around 40mins.  I added in a halved tomato for the last ten minutes or so too.  Meanwhile, once the steak had come to room temperature, I marinated the steak in sesame oil, soy sauce, seasoning, and a spicy blend of meat salt. It was a slightly odd combination but I'd run out of olive oil and thought I could try and give it a slightly eastern flavour with the sesame oil.

Over the years I've managed to learn to do a pretty good steak and found its all about the timings. I heated a dry griddle pan over a high heat for 5 minutes. Then added the steak, making sure the fat was kept close to the side so it too could cook. I let it cook for 2 and a half minutes on each side and then rested it for 10minutes. I popped it on a plate with a green salad, the wedges and tomato. Lunch was served.

Steak & Chips

No comments:

Post a Comment