Tuesday 25 January 2011

Day 19 - Adventure Day

Gerry and I were off to the coast today. I'd decided that it would do us good to get out of the city and spend some time together, just the two of us.  The plan had been to go ice skating first but with a slightly later than planned start it was straight down to Brighton instead. We got there in good time, with the sun desperately trying to peak through the clouds, and headed straight for The Lanes and lunch. I'd booked at Terre a Terre.  It's a vegetarian restaurant and with Gerry having a penchant for this sort of thing and the fact I'd heard very good things about it, I couldn't wait to try it out. It also has a good deal on at the moment where a selection of tapas, chunky chips and a carafe of organic wine for 2 all weighed in at only £35.  I wish I'd remember to take a picture of the tapas when it came because it looked amazing. All of the tapas were beautifully presented with amazing colours and brimming with flavour. I can imagine that quite a few people might dismiss it as an option because it serves no meat or fish but I wholeheartedly encourage you to give it a try if you are ever in Brighton! I'm an avid meat eater but the adventurousness of the food meant I didn't miss it at all. Apparently many of the chefs who have worked here also go on to work at Heston Blumenthal's restaurant The Fat Duck.  I would list down what we had for our tapas platter but I think that the 'not knowing what's coming' was half of the delight. I will tell you though that we indulged in one of their puddings - The Big Lemon and Icy Mother's Ruin. A fantastic lemon tart with the crispest glaze, served with a gin and tonic infused sorbet and fresh raspberries. All washed down with a 500ml carafe of organic Chardonnay. Pure heaven!

We rolled out of there a couple of hours later and went to check in at Hotel Una. It is a total gem and consistently voted the number one hotel in Brighton on Trip Advisor. We went for the Gaula room, despite being offered an upgrade, because we preferred the colours and light in the room. The staff are wonderful here, helpful without being intrusive. We collapsed in our room and relaxed letting lunch settle. Note to self here though, don't feed Gerry wine at lunchtime, her hangover kicked in a little more than 20 minutes after we'd left the restaurant!

For dinner we decided to take a rain check until later, choosing instead to hit a few bars. I had a mini lesbian pub crawl all worked out but as we walked past the first couple of pubs we chose to keep going. Brighton is obviously well-known for its gay bars and clubs but honestly from the ladies point of view it's a little disappointing. I'm sure if it wasn't a rainy Tuesday night in January it might have been a little more lively but even then I think it still leaves a little to be desired. We ended up at R Bar and kicked back with 2 very reasonable drinks. The place did start to fill up, it appeared to be Accoustic Karaoke night and a young lady was having her birthday party there too. It all seemed quite good fun, albeit it with lots of what appeared to be Skins extras, making us feel a little aged. Luckily we were reassured by a very friendly and chatty Italian girl, Lorena, who at the tender age of 23 told us that we didn't look a day over 26. Gerry still thinks we could have got away with 25.  I'd go back to the bar because as far as bars go it was pretty good. An eclectic mix of people and I hear on a Thursday night it can get quite wild...

We watched various talented and talentless individuals hit the stage for karaoke before we bid it adieu at midnight.  The plan was to go round the corner to Revenge, the club part of R Bar, but we were reliably informed by those in the know that it would be a little empty and not worth the entry fee so instead we chose to head down the road for fish and chips.  Now, they were no means the best fish and chips I've ever had but after a few drinks they tasted brilliant.  There is something so satisfying about using a little wooden fork to eat chips!  Night over we hit the sack.

It was a good evening for the most part, however, I think that our sociability precluded what Gerry and I needed to do most which was talk to *each other*.  This was kind of the reason I wanted to get away from the city in the first place. I hoped it would give us the time to focus on just us. However, even if one of you wants this it doesn't automatically track that the other will too. Maybe next time I need to be more explicit, although often other people and iphones can scupper the best made intentions. Plus, second note to self, don't let Gerry swap to cider after spirits, it can make the end of an evening come up a little short!

No comments:

Post a Comment