Thursday 10 February 2011

Day 35 - It's a Miso Good

Today I felt I really need to cook something. I'd relied on eating out and takeout for all the meals so far this week and that really was quite poor. I'd got inspiration from Boo in London, who very nicely commented on one of my previous posts, Day 30, about my foray into Japanese cooking with the help of my Everyday Harumi cookbook. She had also just purchased the book and her first recipe was that of Miso Minced Beef with Udon noodles. I had all the ingredients and it seemed pretty straightforward so I was good to go.

Recipe to follow.

It turned out really well and I served it with shredded leeks and cucumber strips and of course udon noodles which I have now learnt to cook correctly. They need to be tender yet have a slight bite to them still. The trick is to remove them from the saucepan with a slotted spoon, reserving the hot cooking liquid and rinse them under cold water immediately after cooking to rid them of the starch which makes them stick together. Then prior to serving revive them with the hot reserved liquid.

Miso Minced Beef

I do so love a good miso sauce because of it's sweet but salty flavouring and the fact it is so versatile. It will probably feature a lot in the months to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment