Tuesday 1 February 2011

Day 26 - New Month...New Start?

I had my second interview today and it seemed to go well, despite initial nerves. I walked back over the Thames and despite the rain I enjoyed the walk. I returned home and whipped myself up a quick ratatouille with bacon, served with a small jacket potato.  It was yum and made use of all the leftover vegetables which were almost on the turn in the bottom of the fridge.

Ratatouille:

1oz white onion, chopped
1/2 courgette, finely sliced
1 small can of chopped tomatoes
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 red pepper, diced
1tsp mixed herbs
1 rasher of lean bacon, diced

I softened up the onions with garlic before adding in the courgette and pepper to cook through. This took around 10mins. I added the chopped tomatoes and herbs and simmered for around 5mins. In a separate pan I fried up the bacon until crispy, obviously if you were a vegetarian omit this stage!  For speed alone I used the microwave for the jacket potato.  I popped this in when I was simmering the ratatouille for 5mins. Then it was all served up.  It was warming, moreish and very low in calories!

Ratatouille with Bacon

After lunch, I found out the interview *had* gone well and I was offered the job, which I accepted. It is a good thing, despite the fact it is still in TV. I always feel out of sorts being unemployed and it's working in nice offices and fingers crossed everyone will be friendly. Plus it will give me more money to check out the growing lists of restaurants I want to visit in London. I start on Monday.

I was home alone tonight so to have a mini celebration that I got the job I went to the gym with my sis - cool or what!  Then I came home, had a lovely glass of rose and rustled up a Malaysian beef curry. I followed a recipe over at a favourite site of mine, The Resourceful Cook and I have to say it turned out perfectly. I used rump steak instead though and sliced the beef slightly thinner to shorten cooking time. I also added some green beans and red pepper towards the end of cooking just to give it a little colour.  I steamed some jasmine rice to go with it.  Will definitely make again!

Malaysian Beef Curry with Jasmine Rice

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I just stumbled across your blog but I'll enjoy following you on your food adventure. I'm new to blogging but I love to cook too and I've started sharing secrets I've learned from my Mexican friends. Good eating to you!

    ReplyDelete