Thursday 3 February 2011

Day 28 - Salads & Slow Cooker Experiments

Today I visited my good friend, Crummy Mummy and her new baby. Even though I saw her quite recently, the little girl is growing so quickly and she is still the cutest thing in the world. Since it was such lovely weather we took advantage and went for a lovely long walk by the canal before going home and fixing a feast for lunch.

Crummy Mummy actually picked out a recipe which I love and have made once before, great minds think alike it seems!  She actually put a nice twist on it though as the original is quite a summery salad, whereas she made it a more comforting winter warmer.  It was a Warm Lentil, Roasted Vegetable & Halloumi Salad.

First, we chopped up a selection of fresh vegetables to roast including; one aubergine, cubed, one onion, chopped into wedges, one red pepper, roughly cut, and several halved cherry tomatoes.  These went in the oven with a good splash of olive oil at around 225C for around 30mins.  If we'd had more time we could have left them for longer at a lower temperature but with the wonders of fan cooking they were nicely tender when we took them out. Meanwhile, we simmered the green lentils for around 20mins until tender.  Next she made a quick dressing from a couple of crushed garlic cloves, lemon juice and olive oil and tossed the cubed halloumi in it, before giving it a quick sizzle in the frying pan until just soft.  Finally everything was assembled on the plate and served with a dollop of houmous to make it all slip down that little bit better. Perfect. No picture unfortunately as I practically inhaled it. Fresh air certainly gives me an appetite! It was a really lovely way to spend an afternoon, I love getting out of the city and nothing is better than whiling away the time with a good friend, who puts on awesome grub!

I planned out what to make for dinner that evening on the train home. I recently acquired myself a slow cooker and was very much looking forward to trying it out for the first time. I had left it a little late though, getting in at almost 5pm, so opted for something that I could still prepare in the slow cooker but required a shorter cooking time.  A risotto seemed like my best bet and since I'm not a big fan of the whole 'adding stock' process to stove prepared risottos (because it can be pretty laborious) I was keen to see if this method would work just as well.

I chose a simple green bean and pea risotto with the intention of serving with a pan fried salmon fillet.  The prep was pretty simple; 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tsp olive oil and one chopped onion went in a saucepan for a few minutes to soften. Then 200g arborio rice was added for 1 minute, followed by 2 litres of stock, bringing everything up to the boil.  Then it was just a case of pouring it all into the slow cooker and letting it do its thing for the next couple of hours on a low setting.  Once time was up I added 2 tsps of basil pesto and lay the frozen peas and green beans just on top of the rice.  This was then cooked for a further 15mins on a high setting.  It was served topped with the salmon fillet, which I'd pan fried for around 7 mins.

The end result? Well, maybe it was my ratio of water to rice, I didn't have quite enough rice for the amount of stock that I used but having read the slow cooker instructions it said to make sure the crock pot was at least half full, therefore I dutifully obeyed.  However, I think given its slightly mushy consistency there was too much liquid.  Also, although I'd added pesto and then another on serving it all tasted rather bland.  It wasn't really a patch on my normal risotto that I make on the stove.  Still lesson learnt and I will attempt another purely because I do love the fact I can sit back and let it do its thing while I busy myself with important duties such as TV watching. I think my slow cooker and I will become firm friends.

Green Bean & Pea Risotto

No comments:

Post a Comment