Sunday 6 February 2011

Day 31 - I Can 'Adobo' a Bit of That

Today, after a mammoth gym session and a longer than expected trip to B&Q with my sis A, which involved a quick tour around NW London (we did not get lost...we meant to go that way...), I rushed home to begin my next culinary quest with my slow cooker.  I'm thinking I should name it but is it a boy or a girl slow cooker... such decisions to be made when I am next bored on the tube perhaps.

Anyway, I digress, let's get back on track and what I chose to create for dinner this evening. Gerry is half Filipino and in a nod to her culture I decided to whip up a batch of Beef Adobo. It is the first Filipino dish I have created in the many years we have been together, not least because she and her family make such good food, so I feel I have a lot to live up to! I followed a recipe from my Hamlyn Slow Cooker Recipe Book, which I highly recommend if anyone needs inspiration for their slow cooking.

The below makes enough for 4 servings, half of which I froze for later in the week.
  1. I started by browning 700g braising steak in 1 tbsp of oil.  I added it in batches so not to overwhelm the pan and to allow the beef to brown rather than boil together. I then removed it to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside. 
  2. I took a large onion, sliced, and added it to the pan cooking for around 3mins until it just started to brown. I then added a finely chopped garlic clove to the pan for 2mins before adding 2 tbsp of plain flour and mixed together.
  3. Finally I added 450ml of beef stock to the pan, 4 tbsp soy sauce, 4 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp caster sugar, 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper and brought it all up to the boil.
  4. I added the meat to the slow cooker and poured the stock and onion mixture over the top, making sure all the meat was submerged below the level of the liquid. This was then cooked on high for around 6 hours. If I'd had more time I would have cooked it on low for 8 hours but careering around London took a little more time than I expected!
  5. Just before serving I chopped 3 small carrots into thin batons and shredded 3 spring onions to garnish the dish.
  6. Finally I mixed in the juice of 1/2 lime to the portions of beef I was serving tonight before spooning it over the top of freshly steamed jasmine rice. 
Hapunan ay Nagsilbi. Kumain na!
So what were the scores on the board from Gerry? '10 out of 10' and 'very authentic'! Brilliant. I was very pleased with the result, the meat was melt in the mouth and the sauce was deliciously rich with the tang of the lime just coming through.  Again, something to store in my slow cooker arsenal!

Beef Adobo

No comments:

Post a Comment