Monday 7 February 2011

Day 32 - Eating in the Med

Today I started my new job, I was nervous I'll admit it. It's always a little strange going into a new office, especially when everyone there has been working together for some time. Still I got on with things and it seemed to go ok. I have lovely views from my window of the Oxo Tower and if I crane my neck, then St Pauls.  Hopefully I'll be happy here.

Anyway, what made the day less daunting was the fact I was due to meet up with some former fellow colleagues; H, T and J, later that evening at The Med Kitchen near Leicester Square. I'd managed to book a Toptable deal where we got 3 courses and a glass of vino for £15. I arrived promptly after striding quickly across from the other side of the river, while the others were slightly more tardy. However, we were on time for our table and as we were led to your seats, the ambience did seem lovely. Muted lights and candles were lovely and very welcoming after a busy first day. We perused the menu while animatedly catching up, sometimes I think if I were a waitress I would go spare at the time some people take to decide but on this occasion we were quite good, only asking for a couple more minutes. There was a good choice for all three courses, although they did ask us to decide dessert from the ouset, something which I find highly irritating. How do I know what I will feel like after the first two courses, it could be totally different from the start. However, the restaurant was actually quite busy, especially for a Monday night, so I chose to not let it spoil things.

I love meeting up with these particular friends because we always have great fun and lots of laugher. I've always enjoyed working with them too and I find it refreshing that even after all this time we still find time to get together over good food and wine for a gossip. We always had brilliant lunches when we worked together and in all my time working freelance last year, it was certainly one of the things I missed the most.

Anyway, back to the food. For started I ordered a goats cheese and caramelized onion bruschetta. It was served very promptly and despite a fairly unappetising appearance was actually rather lovely. So lovely in fact that I was more than half-way through before I remembered to take a photo.  Apologies for low light on all these pictures, my phone could really do with a flash! The T and J went for the duck parfait, which was good but didn't deliver glowing results. Finally H opted for a poached egg's Benedict style dish, I can't quite remember exactly but I think she said it was nice.

Caramelized Onion & Feta Bruschetta

For main I opted for steak hache with fries and salad, so essentially burger and chips. I asked for my meat to be done medium rare and they delivered a good result. The shoestring fries weren't on a par with the meat but moreish as fries always tend to be. I felt they were the end of a batch and could have been crisper and hotter. Three of us had gone for the steak hache but T being slightly adventurous went with the option I'd toyed with, a salmon fishcake and fries. It did look delicious and T said it cut the mustard.

Steak Hache & Fries

Finally, for dessert I had chosen a berry coulis with crème fraiche, while the others went for a crème caramel. The third option was a chocolate cheesecake and had I been able to chose after the main was served I would have quite possibly opted for this instead because the coulis was not especially great. It was over-sweet and with a blob of creme fraiche just dabbed on the top, it felt a little like I was just a load of jam.

Red Berry Coulis & Creme Fraiche

The whole meal was paired with our included glass of wine and another bottle of house rose. Nice but not memorable. We rounded off the dinner with teas and coffees and realised the hours had passed quickly. It was a lovely meal but if I had one criticism, it was that the courses came out very close together and there was no real time to catch our breath. We were served all three courses within an hour I think and this resulted in all of us feeling rather overful. It was also a little fruitless since we sat and talked for much longer anyway and courses could have been spread out more. I know they are under pressure to turn tables but on a Monday night when, although busy, not filled to capacity they could have slowed the pace a little.

We bid each other adeiu until next time, we are already planning one for March, and I'm looking forward to it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment